Known for it's entertaining events and festivals, Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand, is a great destination for tourists who wish to become engulfed in the country's culture. No matter what time of the year you're indulging in a little Asia Pacific travel, it's likely that there will always be something happening in this energetic city. Below are five events that you just can not miss.
1) New Zealand International Comedy Festival – Held annually, this funny festival is a must see amongst both locals and tourists enjoying Wellington travel alike. Also held in Auckland, the festival is run by the New Zealand Comedy Trust and ends with the Last Laugh awards showcase, where comedians perform against one another for coveted awards based on their material.
2) Cuba Street Carnival – This creative celebration was founded a little over a decade ago and unites artists and performers of all kinds. Attracting crowds of over 125,000, the carnival is a huge street corridor and is held every other year. Consisting of a night street parade, a street market and street buskers, the carnival is ideal for creative tourists who wish to celebrate the city's artistic side with the locals during their Wellington travel.
3) International Rugby Sevens Tournament – Attracting Rugby players from throughout the world, this tournament is held annually at February at Westpac Stadium. Those enjoying Asia Pacific travel from all around the globe have a chance of catching players from their own countries coming up against some of the sports heavyweights at this exciting tournament.
4) Summer City – Held through January and February, when the sun is hot and the wind is bearable, this free outdoor festival includes music concerts, art performances and Maori cultural events. Those enjoying Wellington travel will find events in parks and squares all through the city so it's a great way to visit different locations and get to know the locals – all for free!
5) New Zealand International Film Festival – This increasingly popular film festival is quickly making its way up the ranks against other international film festivals throughout the world. Held each year at the end of July / beginning of August, the festival features local films and arthouse movies as well as Hollywood blockbusters. Guests at the festival can look forward not only to soaking up New Zealand culture and perhaps catching a glimpse of a star or two while indulging in Wellington travel.